- Founded in 1981, Westside Food Bank distributes about 4.5 million pounds of nutritious food each year through the services of 70 member agencies.
- Westside Food Bank receives about half of the food it distributesfrom donations and half is purchased on the wholesale market.
- WSFB’s food goes to 105,000 people each year including:
- Low income families with children,
- Unemployed, under-employed and working poor people
- Seniors on fixed incomes and the frail elderly,
- College students
- Women and children living in domestic violence shelters
- Homeless individuals
- Mentally ill, chronically ill and disabled individuals
- Veterans and their families.
- Close to half of its food goes to local children
- WSFB has a strict nutrition policy and more than half of the fooddistributed from its warehouse is fresh produce and eggs supplemented by high protein foods and nutritious staples.
- WSFB’s efficient operation turns every dollar into 5 pounds of food.
- WSFB expanded its service to veterans with a weekly produce distribution, garden beds to grow food for vets and a lunch bag program at local Veterans Administration Campuses.
- Food-insecurity among college students has skyrocketed and WSFB now serves pantries at UCLA, Santa Monica College, Mount Saint Mary’s University and West LA College.
- WSFB provides supplemental food bags during the summer for familieswith children that miss out on the food normally offered at school.
- 90% of its food is distributed through food pantries to working poor individuals and families and the rest is provided at shelters, transitional living sites, community kitchens, college food pantries and afterschool & preschool programs.